Sunday, May 14, 2017

Who Is Arlena Dean Interviewing on this Sunday, May 14, 2017? ... Author Rhenna Morgan

Rhenna & Arlena


Thank you so very much for sharing with your readers today about yourself and your wonderful novels you have written and actually meeting you has  truly putting the icing on cake for me
So, let's get started....


                                                                   Rhenna Morgan

Rhenna...would you please tell us about yourself…what would you like for your readers to know about you?  What are you most thankful for in the world we live in? Where are you from? Where are you living now?  Where would you like to visit in the near future and why?

Wow! So much ground to cover! Well, I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and live a crazy busy, but amazingly blessed life. I’ve got two amazing little girls and a supportive husband, a full-time day job as an IT Product Manager, and a full-time job as a writer. (So, yeah...CRAZY busy.) Honestly, though, I don’t think I’d change a bit of it. As for where I’d like to go, I’m actually about to embark on what I’ve dubbed Grand Bucket List trip! I’m taking ten days to fly with a fellow writer friend to Ireland and Scotland. I can’t wait! 

                                I know you are going to have a wonderful visit!

Give us an example of a day in the 'Life of Author Rhenna Morgan'… [Example] on a bright and early Monday. What would we find you doing on that day?   



                You might want to grab a cup of coffee for this first… 

Monday through Friday starts at 5 AM and I spend the next hour and a half racing around getting ready for work, doing half of my mommy to-dos for the day, and trying to keep my hormonal teenage daughter from one of her early morning freak-outs. (You remember what those are like, right? Where the outfit you were sure would look awesome the day before ends up looking horrible on you once you put it on? Or your leggings don’t fit right. Or you have a zit on your forehead? Yeah, good times!)
I’m at work by 7 A.M. and rarely have time to so much as think about writing until I head home at 4 PM. Then I do the other half of my mommy tasks (including the much dreaded fourth grade math homework) and listen to my kiddos unload the day’s drama from school. Then I try to squeeze in some yoga (because did you see the part about school drama?) and dinner before I shower and plunk down on the couch for some writing!!! I usually try to get in at least 2 hours before I pass out in bed and repeat the next day.

How was your life growing up and how did it affect your writing experience?  Were you a book reader? When did you know that you wanted to become an author? What motivated you to become a writer?


Honestly, I had a pretty amazing life growing up. My dad in particular was the type that wasn’t afraid to try anything once. I think that must have rubbed off with me, because once I’m motivated to do something I do it. Usually head first. That’s exactly what happened with writing. I’ve always been a voracious reader because reading allows me to turn my brain off and just relax for a little while. It wasn’t until about 2012 that I decided to give writing my own stories a go…and it stuck. 

How do you come up with your hero/heroine that you write about in your novels? Are these taken from people you know?

It’s really weird how the ideas some to me. Sometimes I get them just from going somewhere or seeing something that sparks a character or a story line. Sometimes I just have a vague idea of what I want to write and the character develops as I work through character sketch worksheets. Usually, once I start free forming “what if” scenarios, the story takes hold and won’t let go until I know what happens end to end. And yes, sometimes the characters I write about have quirks or personalities that match people I know. Gabe is one of them. Someone very close to me struggles from social anxiety disorders and I saw Gabe as a way to share just how crippling this challenge can be.

What do you think about standalone and cliffhanger reads as compared to the series of your novels?  Do you think they are well received by your readers?   *Personally, I don't care for cliffhangers…let me clarify it as little.  For me I read so much from different authors and when it take sometimes over a year for some authors to get the next series by that author…I would be at a complete loss.  If you look at any of my reviews…I always let the reader know by adding a book description of the novel. So, when I get these cliffhanger reads I can go back for the series I have read and reviewed earlier and try to figure out what is or has gone on.  I love it when I am reading a series…having it all there then I can read it one after the other as I did with your Eden series.  Remember I won the whole series from you and I simply loved it!  Anyway, I thought I would throw that in [smile].  Now if they are a standalone…they do just that…. standalone! Yea!

I hate romantic cliffhangers…both as a writer and a reader. Now, a cliffhanger for the world? Those I’m okay with. Especially when you’ve got pre-planned series with a definitive end. My Eden series worked that way. Every book had a satisfying relationship ending, but there was always a little unresolved kernel to the world-wide plot at the end of books 1, 2, and 3. (Of course, the last book ties everything up quite nicely.)

What is your process when you are preparing to write a novel?

Well, since I’ve got several books contracted right now, almost all of my books have plenty of time to marinate in my head before I ever put my fingers on a keyboard. Once it’s time to write a book, I start with character sketches so I can get very familiar with my Hero and heroine. I also jot down all the ideas I’ve “seen” in my head during the marinate process. Once I’m finished with the character sketches, I’ve usually got an idea on how the plot will go. Every scene is planned with key dialogue and developments jotted down.
Then I write. And write. And write. Until it’s all done and ready to ship to my editor!

How long does it generally take you to complete [write] your novel[s]?

It depends on the series I’m working on, but as a rule from the first day I touch a keyboard to the day I ship it off to my editor—4 to 5 months.

Do you create your book covers or do you have help creating them?  They all are simply all beautiful!
I haven’t created any of my book covers, though I’ve been fortunate to have had input in most of them. My publisher for the Haven Brotherhood series, Carina Press, has been exceptional to work with. I love how inclusive they’ve been throughout not just cover development, but the entire publication process.

Rhenna, could I get you to list all of your books you are author of.... in order that you wrote them and the year that each one was published and may I also have the genres? Are they available on Kindle format and/or paperbacks?  I have added your novels… Please add publication, genre…Kindle/paperback information.  Thanks!

 All links and details are available at http://rhennamorgan.com/books/. And don’t forget, I’ve got the last two books in the Haven Brotherhood series and a new paranormal series coming out in 2018.

Title
Series
Publish
Genre
Formats Available
Unexpected Eden
The Eden Series
Dec-14
Paranormal Romance
Kindle, ePub, Print
Healing Eden
The Eden Series
Dec-15
Paranormal Romance
Kindle, ePub, Print
Waking Eden
The Eden Series
Jul-16
Paranormal Romance
Kindle, ePub, Print
Eden's Deliverance
The Eden Series
Oct-16
Paranormal Romance
Kindle, ePub, Print
What Janie Wants
Standalone
Jun-15
Contemporary
Kindle, ePub, Print
Rough & Tumble
The Haven Brotherhood
Feb-17
Contemporary
Kindle, ePub, Print, Audio
Wild & Sweet
The Haven Brotherhood
Apr-17
Contemporary
Kindle, ePub, Print, Audio
Claim & Protect
The Haven Brotherhood
Jun-17
Contemporary
Kindle, ePub, Print, Audio
Tempted & Taken*
The Haven Brotherhood
Nov-17
Contemporary
Kindle, ePub, Print, Audio
 *coming soon!

I also found  Once Upon a Valentine's Day: A Romance Sampler  that featured your digital sampler of Rough & Tumble.

What genres do you generally write for your readers? 

I’m a contemporary and paranormal romance girl, through and through.

Which novel below would you consider your favorite and why?

Oh, my! That’s a really hard question because I get deeply attached to every one of my characters along the way. I guess right now I’d say ROUGH & TUMBLE, mostly because it was Jace who introduced me to the brothers. I’m in love with all of them. They’re the big brothers I’ve always wanted.  





















What genres do you love to read and what books would we find stacked on your book shelf or your Kindle reader?

Contemporary and paranormal romance (the hotter the better). That’s it. I know lots of people would tell me that’s too limited for a writer, but I love, love, love romance. It’s my drug of choice and I refuse to read anything else.

Do you have a favorite romance authors [beside you] smile?

Ha! Yes! Loads of them! My top ones are Kristen Ashley, Juliette Cross, JR Ward, Sylvia Day, Audrey Carlan, Nalini Singh and Kresley Cole.

What authors do you admire and why?

Pretty much the list above. They’re the others who get an automatic one-click on release day no matter what because I know I can always dive into their stories and come out with a big smile on my face.

Have you ever tried writing poetry, if so what were they about?

Well, sort of. Before I did writing, my sister and I had a band and we wrote our own music. So, if you count song lyrics as poetry (which I do), then yes! And as to the content…romance of course!

Have you ever thought about doing audio for your novels?

The Haven Brotherhood is available in audio, but I wouldn’t dare try to narrate it on my own. It’s a very difficult task to get these characters to come alive in audio format and to do it well. I’ve been very blessed in the narrators who’ve been chosen for the brothers!

Do you have a blog page, if so where can we find it and what will be find on it?

I don’t have a blog, per se, but I do have a website that I keep current with lots of fun stuff specific to my books: http://rhennamorgan.com

Are you a self-publisher?  If so, what is that process like?

I have! The last two books in the Eden series were self-published and enjoyed the process immensely. That said, it’s very time consuming and can be overwhelming when you’ve got a day job on top of everything else. You’re responsible not just for writing the book, but for the editing, the covers, the marketing, the promoting, the metadata and the formatting. It’s a lot more than people think. But it’s also very gratifying, too.

After the reader has read one of your novels what would you like the readers to take from your novel long after the read?

I want the story to linger. For the growth and emotions experienced by the characters to have left their mark on the reader so they feel like there too.

What message would you have for an aspiring author?

This is the most gratifying yet difficult thing I’ve ever done. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline. More than most people can image on the surface. The reason is that nothing can happen until the book is finished—and the single hardest thing to do? Finish the book. I’m writing my tenth book right now and while I know the ins and outs far better now than I did starting out, getting my butt in the chair and putting my fingers on the keyboard is a huge challenge.

What was the most difficult aspect of writing your novels? Do you have any problem with writer’s block?

Usually, the hardest part is getting from the halfway point to the ¾ mark. I’m tired by that point and wanting to get on with the exciting conclusion, so keeping my pace and pushing through takes some doing. (See aforementioned note about discipline. J )

After reading reviews from your readers about your novels, how have their reviews helped you in the writing of your novels? 

The key thing for me with reviews is the simple joy in knowing that I’ve touched someone. It’s like giving someone a present. You know how you feel when someone important to you opens their gift and they’re super excited? How you feel like you’ve genuinely touched someone and given them a tiny slice of happiness? That’s what a positive review feels like for an author. At least for me anyway.

How much, if any, of what you write is based on your own personal/real life experiences?

 Bits and pieces of my life are always sprinkled in. Or bits and pieces of people I know. I write what I know, so it’s inevitable that parts of me and the people I know/love would end up in my stories.

Do you write while listening to music ...if so....who may we find you listening to?

I listen and plot while driving, but I rarely listen while actually writing. It messes up the pictures in my head. And the music I listen to while plotting really depends on the mood of the stories and the characters.

Where do you like to read?

EVERYWHERE!!!

Have you ever just walked away and not finished a story that you cannot get a hold of the story
line the way you like?  If so what was that process like?

I haven’t. Not yet anyway!

Do you belong to any 'Book Clubs?' If so, what are they?

No, I don’t.

Have you ever thought about co-authoring with another author?


Juliette Cross and I have talked about it, but with our pending books still to be written, I’m not sure how we’ll pull it off.

What may the reader find you doing when you are not writing your novels?

Every now and then I’ll indulge in a TV binge or take a trip to the movies with my family. I also enjoy traveling when money and time allow.

Rhenna, where can we follow you?


Would your give the readers a excerpt from one of your novels…maybe the new one Wild &Sweet?  You bet! Here’s an excerpt from Zeke & Gabrielle’s first date!

"Ten minutes and a demolished plateful later, she pried herself from her comfy spot, ready for a reward in the form of a red-velvet cupcake. She shut the back door behind her, turned for the kitchen table and forgot all about dessert.
Zeke stood with the refrigerator door open, his torso leaned in while he shifted something inside the cooler. The rugby clothes he’d worn were gone, replaced by a pair of faded Levi’s that molded his powerful thighs and butt, and absolutely not one other stitch of clothing.
He turned, a purple Gatorade in hand and flashed her with a big smile. “Hey. You like the view?”
Holy hell. What’s not to like?
Logically, she knew he meant the backyard, but in that second she couldn’t give a damn about anything except the man in front of her. She’d known he had a good build by the way his T-shirts fit him, but Mother of God, without a shirt he was lickably delicious. Not over-large where muscles were concerned but compact and defined. Perfect for tracing her fingers along each dip and curve. Or her tongue. She wasn’t picky.
She licked her lip, her eyes drawn to the dog tags that rested between his sculpted pecs. Weird. He never said anything about being in the military. Then again, they didn’t look like normal dog tags. They were nicer. Thicker with something masculine etched in black.
“Gabe?”
Her gaze darted to his, and she swallowed hard, her adrenaline-rushed fingers nearly fumbling her plate as she paced toward the table. “Sorry. I was…” Ogling your body like an estrogen-rich teenage girl. “Yeah. Trevor’s got a really nice place.”
“Yeah, he does.” He snatched the gray T-shirt draped over the back of the kitchen chair closest to him and pulled it over his head, but the devious grin on his face made it clear he knew exactly what had her so flustered. And he liked it.
Pulling the hem of his T down around his hips, he prowled closer.
She focused on the food, her pulse hammering loud in her head. Think, Gabe. Say something. Anything. “Did you get something to eat?”
“I got enough.” He stopped behind her, reached around and pulled the plate from her quivering hand. It clinked to the tabletop as he set it aside and turned her with hands on her hips. “The way you just looked at me, though, I think I’m juiced enough to go without food for days.” His hands on her hips squeezed and he leaned in close, skating his nose alongside hers. His warm breath tickled her skin, tinged with a sugary scent, when he muttered, “Trying real hard to stay on plan.”
Her lips parted on instinct, needing his mouth against hers more than she needed air. “There’s a plan?”
“Oh, yeah. There’s a plan. Otherwise, I’d have just kissed you this morning. But then we’d have never left the house.” He lifted one hand and cupped her nape, resting his forehead against hers as he closed his eyes. He pulled in a deep steadying breath through his nose and tiny shivers wiggled down her spine. God, he even managed to make breathing sound sexy.
He straightened, kissed her forehead and took her hand in his. “Come on, gatinha. Time for you to fly.”


              GIVEAWAY FROM THE AUTHOR!!!!

Up for grabs is a signed print copy of book one in The Haven Brotherhood, ROUGH & TUMBLE....Just answer this question in the comment section below.  How many book series has Author Rhenna Morgan completed.
Please leave your name, your email, and your answer below in the comment section area and Author Rhenna will choose from the list on Saturday, June 3, 2017 and let the winner know by email and also send the paperback you have won to you.  

Thank you so much Author Rhenna Morgan for this wonderful interview.  It has really been a joy and I am so happy to say I have read all of your novels and have loved every single one of them  All of my reviews may be found on Arlena's Book Reviews...My URL http://arlenasbookreviews-arlenadean.blogspot.com.   May you be truly blessed with all of your writings!


From me to you Happy Mother's Day Rhenna Morgan on  this Sunday, May 14, 2017

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Rhenna for this wonderful interview. I wish you the best in all of your writing!

    ReplyDelete

My Interview with Author Jennifer Latham. December 17, 2017th On Her Novels....Scarlett Undercover and Dreamland Burning

It is a pleasure to have this interview with you.  When I met you back in March of 2017 at Barnes, I knew I would love to have a interview ...